1______all our kindness to help her, Sara refused to listen
2. ______before we depart the day after tomorrow, we should have a wonderful dinner party.
A. Had they arrived
B. Would they arrive
C. Were they arriving
D. Were they to arrive
3.______conflict among city-states caused the eventual decline of Greek civilization
4. ______he’s already heard the news.
A. Chances are
B. Chance is
C. Opportunities are
D. Opportunity is
5. ______his knowledge and academic background, he is basically stupi
A. But for
B. According to
C. For all
D. Thanks to
6. ______man can now create radioactive elements, there is nothing he can do to reduce their radioactivity.
D. Now that
7. ______of the burden of ice, the balloon climbed up and drifted to the South. A. To be free
B. To free
8. ______should any money be given to a small child
A. On no account
B. From all account
C. Of no account
D. By all account
9.______the advances of the science, the discomforts of old age will no doubt always be with us.
A. As for
10.______the claim about German economic might, it is somewhat surprising how relatively small the German economy actually is.
A. To give
D. Having given
11. ______the sight of the police officers, the men ran off.
12. ______the wall, we decided that we should need three tins of paint.
A. Making up
B. Doing up
C. Putting up
D. Sizing up
13. ______ the whole, early American city planning was excellent
14. ______we are having these days！
A. What a lovely weather
B. What lovely weathers
C. What lovely weather
D. What lovely a weather
15. ______a man who expresses himself effectively is sure to succeed more rapidly than a man whose command of language is poor.
A. Other things being equal
B. Were other things equal
C. To be equal to other things
D. Other things to be equal
16. ______ he does not love her
A. As he likes her very much
B. Though much he likes her
C. Much although he likes her
D. Much though he likes her
17. A drunk man walked in, ______ in appearance.
18. A good many houses __ knocked down by the earthquake.
19. A good teacher must know how to __ his ideas.